The Non-Diet Approach
Healthy bodies that are well-nourished and come in different shapes and sizes. The non-diet approach recognises the scientific evidence that weight-loss diets do not work and the majority of people will regain all their weight. Clients are encouraged to accept and embrace their bodies, listen to their internal cues for appetite, treat all foods equally and find intrinsic motivators for nourishment and movement.
The five major concepts of the non-diet approach are:
- Accepting and Embracing Body Cues
- Accepting and Embracing All Foods
- Accepting and Embracing Body Shape
- Accepting and Embracing Movement
- Accepting and Embracing Non-Diet Nutrition
The non-diet approach is an evidenced-based alternative to dieting for those with weight concern that improves physical and psychological health without the risks associated with dietary restriction and weight cycling.